Thursday, January 7, 2016

#BookReview: High Interest by Leigh James

High Interest (Paragon Series #1)
by: Leigh James
Published: Dec 4, 2015
Published by: CMG Publishing, LLC
Source: NetGalley
Links: Goodreads | Amazon

Being a scientist gives Lauren Taylor a purpose in life. At twenty-five, she's the CEO of a billion-dollar biomedical company, Paragon Laboratories. On the brink of a major discovery, Lauren lets nothing interfere with her work. The only thing she's not prepared for? Her overwhelming attraction to Gabriel Betts, the gorgeous and brilliant CEO of another Silicon Valley startup.

Billionaire Gabriel Betts is a successful scientist in his own right. He's made his way in the world by being an early adopter and never losing focus. Captivated by Lauren's brilliance and unselfconscious beauty, he's determined to win the reclusive female CEO over.

But what neither Gabe nor Lauren expect is the white-collar danger that's lurking in Silicon Valley... The danger that threatens not only their companies, but their very existence.


I am always interested to read novels from new authors. That was the case with this books, as I have never read anything from this author before. I am completely addicted to series. I love the fact that characters can continue because I never want to give them up! So I was drawn to this book for several different reasons.

Lauren has some serious trust issues, but given her profession, I guess that makes tons of sense. It seems to drag into other parts of her life as well, which doesn't work very well when it comes to those aspects of her life. She is a very dedicated and driven person, not to mention loyal - to those who deserve it. She is forever dealing with her eternal struggle of how to have this amazingly successful career and a social life all in one. In her mind, you can only have one or the other - because one will take up all of your time. On the outside she is this composed, wealthy, driven, successful business woman, but on the inside she is every bit the female that we all are when it comes to all other aspects of her life.

Gabe is.. well, Gabe. He intrigues me, but at the same time I feel as though there is something more.. Something I have yet to be shown, just below the surface that is making it so hard to FULLY commit to liking him as much as I would like to. He is insanely charming, witty and seems to know exactly what to say and when to say it. Like Lauren, he is a wealthy man, having built his own company from the ground up. The two have a lot more in common than they think - but like most of us, life seems to get in the way exactly when you do not want it to.

Another character that deserves some mention is Lauren's sister. I know some people might not think she played a huge part in the novel, but I love some secondary characters just as much as I do the main ones and she happens to be one of my favorite. It gives us a look into how vastly excluded Lauren has made herself over the years. This book leaves us with a cliffhanger, but I knew that going into it so it did not come as a shock. It did leave me wanting more and I cannot wait to see what the next book has in store for us. I have some questions, so I am looking forward to having them answered!

One thing I do wish happened in this book, and probably the reason I did not give it the full 5 stars that I would have like to, is I wanted to see it slowed down a bit between Lauren and Gabe. The novel itself is very well written! It has romance but a dose of suspense, which makes it different form the contemporary romances, but has enough intrigue to keep you hooked through the entire thing! The content flowed effortlessly, but I felt that sometimes the things between the two could have been slightly slowed down a little, just to make it slightly more realistic! I do recommend this novel to anyone who likes romantic suspense, or just romance in general!

Connect with Leigh James: Webpage | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter



What did you think of the High Interest Review?
Have you read any Leigh James novels?
Did you add this to your TBR list?
Discuss with me in the comments! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. Don't often hear of female CEOs, so I'm definitely adding this to my TBR list! Thanks for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete